Shoemaker Composite Squadron
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Element Leader Publication

Go down

Element Leader Publication Empty Element Leader Publication

Post  Nicholas Durand Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:13 pm

*BELOW ARE DIRECT EXCERPTS FROM THE ELEMENT LEADER PACKET. TO VIEW THE PACKET COMPLETE WITH ALL CHARTS AND DIAGRAMS, EMAIL NICHOLAS DURAND AT nick.durand@gmail.com AND ASK FOR A COPY*

Introduction to Element Leader

Description of Duties (Excerpt from Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 52-15)
Resources: Cadet Staff Handbook, CAPP 52-25

Synopsis
Element leader is the entry-level leadership position on the cadet staff.
Their key responsibility is to assist the flight commander and flight sergeant by taking charge of the members of an element (4 or 5 cadets, on average). Although the element leader occupies the lowest rung in the cadet chain of command, their job is incredibly important because
they are the first person basic cadets should turn to for guidance.

Primary Duties
Prepare the Element for Inspections: Check over their uniforms, and make immediate, last-minute corrections

Debrief Element after Inspection: Find out which cadets need help, and what they need help with. Help these cadets to improve by letting them know what to improve upon, and how to do so.

Pass on Information (Call-down): Get briefed on Squadron’s schedule. Inform your cadets of upcoming activities. Inform them of how to prepare. This means, tell them what the next meeting/activity will be, when and where it will be, when it will be complete, what the uniform will be, and what to bring.

Motivate your flight: Keep a positive attitude, and spread it to your element. Examples of how to do this include congratulating them after promotions, encouraging them to study for tests, and cheering for them during PT. Know your cadets, read their attitude, and if they seem negative, make sure to motivate them.

Duty in Drill: Fall-in on the right side of the element. Your cadets will align off you. If you are misaligned, your cadets will be as well. You may be asked to assist the flight sergeant in teaching your cadets drill. You will need to become an expert in drill, so you may be able to instruct and coach your cadets in learning new drill. Remember, patience is key when teaching your cadets.

Allow Questions: Your cadets must be allowed to ask you questions. Be well acquainted with CAPM 39-1 (uniform manual), as well as AFM 36-2203 (drill manual). You should be able either to answer your cadet’s questions, or to find the answer when introduced with a question you do not know the answer to.

Keep Your Superiors Informed: Let your flight sergeant know how your cadets are doing. Know that you may ask your flight sergeant for help. If your cadets need extra training, or you one of your cadets has a question you cannot answer, ask your flight sergeant.

Goal Setting for Element Leaders

To help your element improve you will want to set goals for it. Once you decide what goals to have, you will want to organize them well. In order to make a well-organized list of goals, your goals must follow the SMART plan. This means they should be Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Tangible. In order for a goal to be truly possible, you must truly believe it can be accomplished, as well as have the means, desire, willpower, and follow-through to achieve it.

Resources for Element Leaders
CAPM 39-1, Uniform Manual
AFM 36-2203, Drill and Ceremonies Manual
CAPP 52-15, Cadet Staff Handbook
CAPR 52-16 Cadet Program Management
http://texascadet.org/ Texas Cadet Homepage
http://www.capmembers.com/ CAP Member’s Homepage
http://www.group3txwing.org/content/about.htm Group 3 Texas Wing Homepage
http://www.txwgcap.org/content/about.htm Texas Wing Homepage

Contacting Your Cadets

As an element leader, it will be your responsibility to contact your cadets before each meeting or activity, to pass along meeting information. You will inform them of time, dates, uniforms, testing/review boards, and what to bring. You will then report to your flight sergeant who will/will not be attending, and who plans on taking what tests. If your flight sergeant does not contact you with the information about the upcoming activity/meeting, be proactive, and ask about the meeting.
At each meeting, you will usually have at least one cadet who does not show. It will be your responsibility to inform your cadet of what they missed and what they will need to make up. Make sure to do this as soon as possible after each meeting, so your memories of what occurred at the meeting are still fresh.

Leadership Continuity

In order to ensure continuity within our Squadron’s leadership, our leader’s successors must be briefed in the doings of their predecessor. One way to do this is for the predecessor to sit down with his/her successor, and brief them on their element’s goals, what has been achieved within his/her term as element leader, what goals they have not yet completed, the status of each individual cadet in their element, and what they advise their successor to do while in service.
Another way to ensure continuity is to make a written record of the concepts listed above. In your written record, remember to record your name, rank, position, and inclusive dates of service. Both of these procedures for ensuring continuity are required for all element leaders to complete. If an element leader does not complete both a verbal and written briefing for their successor, they will not be allowed to fill any other staff positions within the squadron until these requirements are completed.
Following is an example of a cadets written continuity report. Remember, it does not have to be long, but it must cover the criteria listed above.

C/A1C John Curry, Element Leader
Inclusive dates of service: January 1, 2010-June 1, 2010
The primary goals of my element during my service were; all cadets receive Curry award, all cadets pass their uniform inspection for BDU’s, all cadet learn Cadet Oath, and all cadets know their chain of command. As of June 2010, the goals not completed include cadets learning their oath, and all cadets passing their uniform inspection. I advise my successor to work with cadets Johnson, Williams, and LeBlanc on their BDU’s, as they are my only cadets not passing their inspection. Only Cadets Johnson and Arnold know their Cadet Oath, so I recommend working with the whole element on this. You may wish to ask your flight sergeant for permission to have time with your element to work on this.
Currently, my element includes cadets John Johnson, Joe Arnold, Robert Williams, Ryan LeBlanc, and myself.
All cadets have received their Curry, and know the Chain of Command, but with the new staff rotation, you will need to reteach it with the new staff members. You may also want to start working with the cadets on their drill, and CAP knowledge.
If there are any questions, you may ask me by emailing me at john.curry@gmail.com, or calling me at (111) 111-1111.

Never throw out any records from your successor. They will be saved for so that each successor can get an idea of what their predecessors have done, and what they must do themselves.
You may add additional notes for your successor, but keep it appropriate and brief.

Nicholas Durand

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum